We are committed to protecting your privacy online.
If you do not want us to collect, use and transfer your personal information in this way then you should (depending on what it is you object to) Contact Us and ask for your information to be deleted.
For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1988 (the "Act"), the data controller is Boilerhouse Media Ltd, registered office: Hillside, Albion Street, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, OX7 5BH ("we" or "us").
2. WHAT WE MEAN BY PERSONAL INFORMATION
3. PERSONAL INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT
If you register on the Making a Difference with Data Platform as a user, we ask you for certain basic and personal information in order to build up your user profile, for example your name and email address.
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- information you provide via the "Registration" page when registering to use the Making a Difference with Data Platform including your name, email address, and any updated information you provide from time to time;
- any comments you may have made in your application to register to use the Making a Difference with Data Platform;
- information you provide via the "My Profile" page;
- information you provide when you submit or post content to the Making a Difference with Data Platform or when you contact us (including when you report a problem with the Making a Difference with Data Platform to us);
- additional information we may request from you from time to time either by contacting you directly or through the Making a Difference with Data Platform, although there will be no obligation on you to provide this additional information;
- details of your visits to the Making a Difference with Data Platform including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
We may collect information from your computer and browser including your IP address and cookies information. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns and does not identify any individual. Please see Section 9 below for more information.
We will let you know on the registration page if the provision of certain information is optional.
If you provide us with information about another person you confirm that they have appointed you to act for them, consent to the processing of their personal data including sensitive personal data and that you have informed them of our identity and the purposes (as set out below) for which their personal data will be processed.
By providing us with your personal information, you consent to our processing your personal data for the purposes set out below.
4. How we use your personal information
We use personal information held about you in the following main ways:
- so that we can administer and support the Making a Difference with Data Platform and your use of the Making a Difference with Data Platform;
- to provide you with access to the appropriate areas and functions of the Making a Difference with Data Platform (including to particular content);
- to contact you by email from time to time, in order to ask for your views on the Making a Difference with Data Platform and/or any of the content on the Making a Difference with Data Platform;
- to notify you occasionally about important changes or developments to the Making a Difference with Data Platform;
- for members to access and connect with other members of the Making a Difference with Data Platform;
- for assessment and analysis to enable us to review, develop and improve the services we offer; and/or
- for other purposes to which you have given your consent
We may also use information provided by you (such as what you think about the Making a Difference with Data Platform and improvements that you would like to see made) or statistical information collected, so that we can improve the Making a Difference with Data Platform or make your visits to the Making a Difference with Data Platform more rewarding.
We do not sell, trade or rent your information to other parties unless we have first obtained your consent. If you do give us permission, we will only share information with organisations we have carefully selected and believe to be reputable. We may provide statistics and anonymised data about our customer sales, traffic patterns, general demographics and related site information to third parties, but we will not supply any personal information that would enable you to be identified.
Except in very specific circumstances, we do not disclose any of your information to other parties, except where you have given your consent in the "My Profile" section of the Making a Difference with Data Platform. In this respect we may need to share your information with our service providers and agents for the above purposes. We may also disclose your information to any of our affiliate, subsidiary or holding companies and any successor body to us.
Otherwise, we reserve the right to give your personal information to a third party without your consent where we believe that such disclosure is (i) required by law or (ii) necessary to assist in the prevention or detection of any criminal action (including fraud) or (iii) is in the overriding public interest and is permitted by law.
By registering as a member of the Making a Difference with Data Platform, you acknowledge and agree that some of the information you provide may be accessed from countries outside the UK. Please note that countries outside Europe may have lower or different standards of data protection than in the UK.
5. HOW WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We are strongly committed to data security and we take reasonable and appropriate steps to protect your personal information from unauthorised access, loss, misuse, alteration or corruption. We have put in place physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to seek to safeguard the information you provide to us.
However, owing to the nature of the internet we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us. We recommend that you take every precaution to protect your personal information while you are using the Making a Difference with Data Platform and the internet.
6. HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will keep and use the personal information for as long as you are registered as a user of the Making a Difference with Data Platform, and for at least 3 years afterwards, in order to deal with any consequent queries or complaints you may have. We may retain the personal information for longer than this if there is a legal reason or requirement to keep the information for longer, for example if it is relevant to any current legal proceedings.
Any references to you in any current records and any statistical or anonymised information (from which you cannot be identified) may be kept for longer periods.
7. UPDATING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you are a registered user, you can access all the information we hold about you and you can amend or update any inaccuracies in your personal information by logging on to your personal profile. If you have any other queries regarding the information we hold about you then you should contact us at the contact addresses set out in Section 10.
9. IP ADDRESSES AND COOKIES
As set out in Section 3 above, we may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address (which is a unique identifier of the user's computer or other access device), operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies are small files stored in your computer's hard drive by your web browser. When you access the Making a Difference with Data Platform, if you have enabled cookies, our computer server will access these cookies so that it can recognise your computer. These cookies help us to improve the Making a Difference with Data Platform and deliver a better and more personalised service. They enable us:
- to estimate our audience size and usage pattern;
- to store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise the Making a Difference with Data Platform according to your individual interests;
- to speed up your searches; and
- to recognise you when you return to the Making a Difference with Data Platform.
You have the option to choose not to receive cookies, or to be prompted every time a cookie is sent to you. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, and you can change your cookie settings at any time. Please note that in a few cases some features of the Making a Difference with Data Platform may not function if you remove cookies from your browser.